We independently research and recommend any products or places but we may earn a commission if you click on links we provide. Learn More.
Are you packing for your Florida vacation? Make sure you don’t leave any essentials behind with this ultimate Florida packing list. Whether you are headed to the beaches or exploring the cities, this guide will help you pack everything you might need.
Although Florida is known as the warm sunshine state, it can also be rainy and cold on occasion. Take into consideration what time of the year you are traveling to be fully prepared. Use this packing list to plan accordingly to make sure you have everything you need for your next trip to Florida.
Florida Packing List Essentials
When traveling to Florida there are some things that are just essentials. If you forget one of these things then your vacation might not go as planned. So, be sure to check these things off of your packing list first, and then we can continue packing.
When packing for a trip, it’s essential to remember to bring all travel documents with you. Starting from your photo I.D. and passport (if needed depending on where you are traveling from), the documents are some of the most important things that need to be packed away. These may include your passport, visa, travel insurance, itinerary, reservations and any other necessary documentation.
Without these documents, you may not be able to enter the country or board your flight, which can cause significant delays and complications. Make sure to keep these documents in a secure location, such as a travel document organizer or a separate compartment in your bag. Store copies in a separate location in case of loss or theft.
This is the one thing to double-check to ensure that you have all the necessary documents before leaving for your trip. With your travel documents in hand, you can travel with peace of mind, knowing that you’re prepared for anything.
Cash and Credit Cards
Most of us carry some sort of credit cards with us but not always cash. Depending on what your plans are for your Florida vacation, it is important to bring some cash with you.
Not all small businesses accept credit cards, like if you want to go sunflower picking, so be sure to be bring some cash with you or have a way to withdraw. Have some small bills on hand too for any tolls that you might pass.
Be sure to take any credit cards you will need to cover all of your trip expenses too.
Being sick on vacation is one of the worst feelings so taking all the medication you might need is important. Remember to grab all your necessary medications and think ahead to take things for headaches, stomachaches, allergies and anything else for the duration of your trip.
Also, pack a first aid kit since accidents can happen, so be prepared with a basic kit that includes band-aids, antiseptic, and other essentials.
Sunscreen is pretty essential in Florida especially if you’re planning on spending all your days on the beach or out in the water.
Florida is known for its sunshine, and with that comes the risk of sunburns and skin damage. Forget your sunscreen one day and it could end up in a miserable vacation. It’s even better if you’re bringing your reef safe sunscreen to help protect the ocean.
Another thing to bring is aloe vera gel. In the case that you do get some sun, it is important to have it on hand to soothe and heal your skin as soon as possible.
Florida is known for the beautiful beaches with crystal-clear water and white sand. From the stunning beaches to the natural springs, and pools in theme parks and resorts, there are plenty of options for enjoying swimming, sunbathing, and other water activities.
That’s why it’s important to pack your swimming suit to take advantage of all of the water activities and attractions that Florida has to offer.
When it comes to packing for a trip to Florida, there are a few key things to keep in mind to ensure you’re comfortable and stylish. What part of Florida are you traveling to, what activities will you be doing most on your vacation, and what time of year are you traveling are all things to consider. Here are some suggestions for the best clothing to pack for women:
- Tops: Pack a top for every day of the trip or a little less if you’re going for a longer time and will have access to laundry facilities. Lightweight and breathable clothing is important for Florida’s hot and humid climate, so consider packing breathable tops that are made from cotton, linen, or rayon which are comfortable and lightweight. Most tops to pack are short sleeve tops that are good for hot weather. You can also pack lightweight long sleeve tops for when the weather is a little cooler or when you need extra protection from the sun.
- Swimsuits: As mentioned earlier, Florida is famous for its beautiful beaches and warm waters, so you’ll definitely want to pack a swimsuit. When in Florida, a swimsuit is one of the essentials so be sure to pack your favorite one. Consider packing a few different options, so you have something to wear whether you’re lounging by the pool or playing in the ocean. Along with swimsuits pack one or two cover-ups for those days on the beach.
- Bottoms: Shorts are the most comfortable and airy option for a hot day in Florida. However, if you are more of a pants person, jeans are still an option especially in the winter months. They are not as breathable as some other pants options but they are very versatile and can be worn on any occasion. For more breathable pants choose different fabrics or flowy pants.
- Under Garments: consider the amount of underwear and socks you will need for the trip and pack accordingly.
- Comfortable Shoes: Comfortable shoes are a must for exploring Florida’s cities, beaches, and attractions. Pack sandals, sneakers, and breathable shoes that are easy to walk in. Sandals are the shoes that will be probably used the most whether you’re going to the beach or walking around the city.
- Dresses and Skirts: Dresses and skirts are perfect for Florida’s warm weather. They’re so easy to wear, comfortable, and versatile. Consider packing a mix of casual and dressy options, so you have something for every occasion.
- Light Jackets and Cardigans: Even though Florida is hot and humid, it can still get chilly, especially at night or in air-conditioned spaces. Pack a light jacket or cardigan to keep you warm. Grab a rain coat too since Florida’s weather can be very unpredictable so it is best to be prepared for a little rain.
The clothing packing list for men is quite similar. Here’s what to pack for a Florida vacation for men.
- Tops: Lightweight and breathable short sleeve tops or tank tops are a must while on vacation in Florida. T-shirts and button downs are also great options. Button downs can be worn casually during the day and then can be easily dressed up for the night.
- Bottoms: Packing a few pairs of shorts that are made with breathable fabric and can be paired with a simple tee will get you through most days in Florida. Pack a pair of long pants too for the colder nights if you’re going in the colder months or just for dressier settings.
- Sweaters and Jackets: Grab a sweater or long sleeve shirt for the nights that get colder or while being inside buildings. Remember that since it is so hot outside often buildings have the AC on high so if you are in a building for a longer period of time it can get cold.
- Under Garments: take the amount of underwear and socks you will need for the duration of the trip.
- Swim Trunks: Pack at least two so that there is another pair just in case. You may want to pack a designated shirt for the beach too that dries quickly so that you’re not worried about other shirts getting sandy.
- Shoes: You’ll want to bring sandals for the beach and comfortable shoes to walk around town. These can be sneakers, loafers or any other shoe that is comfortable for every day walking.
Toiletries and various personal items are essential on your trip to Florida. While it is possible to buy them at the store, it is better to bring ones you already have to save money and use the brands you love. Some of the toiletries to bring with you are:
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Razor and shaving cream
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- Hair-styling tools and products
- Sunscreen: Make sure to pack a high SPF sunscreen and reapply frequently throughout the day.
- Sunglasses: Along with sunscreen, a good pair of sunglasses will protect your eyes from the bright Florida sun.
- Hat: A hat with a brim will provide additional protection from the sun and keep you cool on hot days.
- Water bottle: Staying hydrated is important in Florida’s warm climate, so pack a refillable water bottle to keep with you at all times.
- Beach towel: If you plan on visiting the beaches, pack a large beach towel to lay on and dry off with. Getting one of the beach towels that shakes off the sand easily will make the beach experience better for the whole family.
- Beach bag: Bring a beach bag to keep all of your beach accessories in one place. A mesh beach bag will keep the sand out while keeping all of your belongings in.
- Beach games: A ball or sand shovels for the kids are just some of the beach toys and games you can take with you.
- Beach umbrella: Taking one to the beach with you will keep you safe from the harsh Florida sun. If you’re driving a car down to Florida, it is easy to just throw it in the car and always have it whenever you go to the beach.
- Snorkel Gear: With so much water to explore in Florida, don’t forget to take your snorkel gear.
Other Florida Trip Accessories
- Insect repellent: Florida is also home to many mosquitoes and other biting insects, so be sure to pack insect repellent to avoid being bitten.
- Phone charger: Don’t forget to pack a phone charger to keep your devices charged and ready to use.
- Camera: Florida is home to many beautiful beaches, natural wonders, and attractions, so don’t forget to bring a camera to capture all of your memories. Also, make sure to bring the camera charger and SD cards.
- Water bottles: It is important to stay hydrated in the Florida heat so be sure to bring water bottles for everyone so that you can easily refill with water.
Packing for a Florida vacation should be easier with this guide on what to bring. Do you have any Florida favorites you like to bring with you? If you’re still wondering where to plan your next Florida trip, we have a list of the ultimate things to do in Florida to give some more ideas.